IAEE Welcomes Incoming Chairperson Julia Smith, 2015 Board Election Results Unveiled
This year’s International Association of Exhibitions and Events™ (IAEE) Chairperson Megan Tanel, CEM, passed the gavel to 2016 IAEE Chairperson Julia Smith, CEM, CTA, at the Annual Networking Luncheon and Awards Presentation held during Expo! Expo! IAEE's Annual Meeting & Exhibition 2015 in Baltimore, Md.
"I look forward to building on IAEE's successful advocacy initiatives, and to promoting program development to attract future generations to careers in the exhibitions and events industry," Smith said.
She added, "I am honored and excited to serve as 2016 chairperson and will be able to draw on my experiences as an involved IAEE committee and board member and volunteer."
Smith encouraged the luncheon crowd to join her on focusing on driving change in three specific areas: Talent Development, Review of Pay Practices and Volunteerism.
Smith joined Global Experience Specialists (GES) in 1989 after seven years in show management and currently is senior vice president of National Sales.
She has served on a variety of IAEE committees including the IAEE Awards Committee, the CEM Appeals Committee, as past chairperson of IAEE Services, Inc., on the board of the IAEE Southwest Chapter, and is a graduate of IAEE's Krakoff Leadership Institute.
For nearly a decade, she served as a board member of the Health and Pension Trusts for Local 831, the decorators union in Southern California, and she is currently a board member of the Exhibition Services & Contractors Association (ESCA) and Visit Anaheim.
Smith was the first associate member of IAEE to earn the Certified in Exhibition Management (CEM) designation, is a CEM Faculty member, and has taught CEM modules in the U.S., Taiwan, China, Canada and Europe.
She is a recipient of IAEE's Distinguished Service Award, as well as the inaugural recipient of IAEE's Woman of Achievement Award. Smith also contributed chapters to the most recent editions of IAEE's Art of the Show textbook.
“I have such a passion for his business ... it’s certainly never boring and ever-challenging,” Smith said.
IAEE welcomes its newest members of the IAEE Board of Directors:
· Director Gregg Caren, executive vice president, SMG;
· Director Lenay Gore, director of Meetings & Conventions, American Public Transportation Association;
· Director Chris Nemchek, senior vice president, Specialty Foods Association, Inc.; and
· Director Dennis Smith, President, Messe Frankfurt North America.
Continuing Board of Directors members include:
· Chairperson-Elect Ryan Strowger, CEM, Senior Vice President of Exhibitions, Conferences and Sales, International Association of Amusement Parks & Attractions (IAAPA);
· Secretary/Treasurer Daniel McKinnon, CEM, Vice President, Client Services – Global, FreemanXP;
· Immediate Past Chairperson Megan Tanel, CEM, Vice President of Exhibitions and Events, Association of Equipment Manufacturers;
· Director Vicki Bedi, CEO, PSBedi & Co Pvt Ltd;
· Director Thomas Cindric, Jr., CEM, Vice President, Informa Exhibitions;
· Director Christopher McCabe, Executive Vice President, Emerald Expositions;
· Director Robert "Bob" McClean, Jr., CPA, Executive Vice President, Promotional Products Association International;
· Director Robert "Bob" Morgan, General Manager, Dulles Expo Center;
· Director Susan Schwartz, CEM, Managing Director, ConvExx; and
· Director Stephen "Steve" Sind, President & CEO, Global Event Strategies, LLC.
Ex-officio Directors include:
· Walter Yeh, CEM, Executive Vice President, TAITRA – Taiwan External Trade Development Council representing the IAEE Asia Exhibition Council;
· Aaron Bludworth, President & CEO, Fern representing the Center for Exhibition Industry Research (CEIR);
· Andrew Ortale, Executive Vice President, National Trade Productions, Inc. representing the Chapters Leaders Council;
· Angela Harar, CEM, Senior Director of Tradeshows, The Vision Council representing the IAEE MATSO Council;
· Mary Bender, Marketing Director, Emerald Expositions representing the IAEE Public Events Council; and
· Samantha Lohse, Project Manager, Marketing, National Business Aviation Association (NBAA) representing the Robert L. Krakoff Seat.
Members of IAEE's board of directors are elected on an annual basis by the official voting member of each IAEE member company. All officers serve a term of one year, except the secretary/treasurer who holds office for two years.
The directors are divided into three classes, as nearly equal in number as possible, each to serve three years in staggered terms to ensure continuity in the governance of the association.