Mary Klida is Marketing and Communications Manager at Cobo Center in Detroit. She is an award winning writer with more than 30 years communications experience.
20 Steps to a Greener Event from Detroit’s COBO Center
Cobo Center has been awarded the Keep Michigan Beautiful (KMB) President’s plaque, their highest annual award. KMB was founded in 1965 by then Michigan Governor George Romney as a response to Lady Bird Johnson’s White House Conference on Beautification.
The President’s Plaque is awarded for environmental improvement, beautification, site restoration and sustainability.
Patrick Bero, CEO/CFO of the Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority, the governing body of Cobo Center, was on hand to receive the award October 16, 2015, in Frankenmuth Michigan.
“In 2011, at the beginning of our 5-year $279 million renovation, we put together a Green Committee with members from every department and vendor company in Cobo Center,” said Claude Molinari, regional director of operations SMG and assistant general manager or Cobo Center. “That committee drives the momentum for improving sustainability and environmental stewardship of our facility and community.”
Since 2012, when Cobo Center was certified a Green Venues Michigan facility, it has received five sustainability recognitions, including the Detroit EcoWorks Sustainability Champion Award in 2014, the Detroit Free Press Michigan Green Leaders award in 2015, the GMIC APEX certification in 2015, and now the KMB award.
“We feel Cobo Center offers a unique package of Green Event support at little or no cost to customers, in a place not known for sustainability – Detroit! We aim to change that perception and show the world that Detroit is back and better than ever,” said Thom Connors, SMG regional vice president and general manager of Cobo Center.
Cobo recommends that customers who want to make their events more sustainable start with these 20 easy suggestions:
1. Investigate Cobo’s Green certifications. They outline the operational structure for sustainability
2. To save time in your RFP, simply mail your questions about Green Events in Cobo Center to email@example.com
3. Use Cobo’s free app and website to find sustainable transportation options and walkable local attractions
4. Cobo Center has 180 recycling stations. Have some placed strategically throughout your event spaces, especially on the closing day
5. Cobo Center will supply a post-event sustainability report that meets the requirements of your Green Event sponsors
6. Use signage without dates to promote re-use
7. Use online event service order forms on the Cobo website to reduce paper waste
8. Distribute event information online or in digital format
9. Use the free facility app to notify attendees of event and facility features
10. Generate less paper waste by using Cobo’s digital signage to announce sponsors, direct attendees and announce agendas
11. Work with Cobo’s chef to source food locally and sustainably
12. Request un-served food from your event be donated to Forgotten Harvest, a local food redistribution agency (48.8 million pounds of food last year)
13. Publicize Cobo’s sustainability practices to your attendees and encourage participation
14. Cobo uses compostable food containers and utensils making food outlet waste 100% compostable or recyclable
15. Your sponsor can underwrite a coffee break with their logos on compostable cups
16. Include a sustainability slide show at the entrance and exit of your event and let attendees know how they can be a part of it
17. Recycle badge holders to local charities and declare to attendees with signage
18. Inclusivity is sustainability. Work with your event manager to insure attendees special needs are met during your event
19. Work with your event manager to create Detroit area walking tours for attendees to encourage walking as transportation
20. Cobo supports the use of bicycles as attendee transportation
When you’re planning your next business meeting or trade show and it’s time to get deals done, there’s one place that has everything for any size group – Las Vegas.
Las Vegas is the place for business and has the perfect space to accommodate even the largest of assemblies. Three of the country’s 10 largest convention venues are in Las Vegas, all part of more than 11 million square feet of exhibit space throughout the city.