TSNN decided to start off 2014 with one of the most popular blog posts from last year. Enjoy! We love Mike's work!
Looking for statistical justification that trade shows are a great marketing medium? Or numerical inspiration to guide your trade show program? You’ve come to the right place.
At EXHIBITOR 2013 this year, Skyline hosted a game show called “Staggering Trade Show Stats” in our ]]>trade show booth]]>. These stats were shared with show attendees to help them justify and maximize their trade show marketing. You can use these 16 stats to help guide your program, too:
- B2B exhibitions were 39.2% of B2B marketing budgetsin 2011, the largest amount of any other marketing channel. That number has held fairly steady over the past several years, demonstrating the resilience of trade shows. Source: CEIR: The Spend Decision: Analyzing How Exhibits Fit Into The Overall Marketing Budget
- 81% of trade show attendees have buying authority. Which means more than 4 out of 5 people walking the aisles are potential customers for exhibitors. Source: CEIR: The Spend Decision: Analyzing How Exhibits Fit Into The Overall Marketing Budget
- 78% of trade show attendees travel more than 400 milesto attend an exhibition, which means you are getting a national audience at many trade shows. Source: CEIR report ACRR 1153.12
- 99% of marketers said they found unique value from trade shows they did not get from other marketing mediums. Their 3 most valued aspects of trade shows were: 60% of exhibitors said they value the ability to see lots of prospects and customers at the same time; 51% of exhibitors said they value face-to-face meetings with prospects and customers, and 47% said they value the ability to meet with a variety of players face to face, such as customers, suppliers, resellers, etc. Source: CEIR: The Changing Environment of Exhibitions
- The top 3 goals for exhibitors at trade shows are brand awareness, lead generation, and relationship building. Source: Skyline Exhibits market research
- The average attendee spends 8.3 hours viewing ]]>trade show exhibits]]> at a showor exhibition. That gives you plenty of opportunity to connect with your target audience. Source: Exhibit Surveys, Inc.
- About 50% of the largest 200 shows in the USA take place in just 3 cities: Las Vegas, Chicago, and Orlando. Source: TSNN.com, The Trade Show News Network
- Average drayage rates have increased 488% from 1982 to 2010. Average drayage rates have gone from $12.68 per hundredweight in 1982 to $74.54 in 2010 – a 488% increase. Meanwhile, the % of Exhibit Design on the average budget has gone from 21% of the overall budget in 1982 to only 10% in 2010. The savings on drayage, (and shipping, storage, I&D, and refurbishing) from modular exhibit systems (that weight 60% less than traditional custom exhibits) and portable displays have helped keep trade shows affordable for many exhibitors. Source: CEIR / E2MA
- 83% of exhibitors agreed that “Building, expanding brand awareness” is a high-priority marketing-related objective for trade shows. The next two objectives tied at 63%: “New product promotions, launches” and “Brand awareness reinforcement.” Source: CEIR Changing Environment Study
- The top 3 sales-related objectives at trade shows are related to relationship management and engagement. Above all else, exhibitors want to meet with existing customers, key customers, and prospective customers. Source: CEIR Changing Environment Study
- 67% of all attendees represent a new prospect and potential customer for exhibiting companies. This means trade shows are always rich in new business targets for you. Source: Exhibit Surveys, Inc.
- 45% of attendees visit only one exhibition per year. So when you exhibit at a show you will find unique prospects there you can’t reach at other trade shows. Source: CEIR Report ACRR 1152.12
- The #1 reason for attending (not exhibiting) trade shows is to see new products. 92% of trade show attendees say they are looking for new products. It has been the number one reason to attend for 25 years! So trade shows are a great place to introduce or feature your newest products. Source: CEIR: The Role and Value of Face to Face
- 46% of trade show attendees are in Executive or Upper Management. That’s a lot of valuable attendees with top titles walking trade shows. They certainly have authority to make buying decisions! Source: CEIR: The Role and Value of Face to Face
- Shanghai, China is going to open a 5 million square foot show hall in 2015. This means for exhibitors there will be even more potential large shows to exhibit at in China. Source: News media
- 84% of exhibitors say “High quality of attendees” is the most important factor when deciding whether to exhibit or expand booth size. Also, 54% say “favorable return-on-investment,” is an important factor when deciding to exhibit or expand booth size, while 50% consider “Positive past performance” and important factor. Source: CEIR: The Changing Environment of Exhibitions